About World Extreme Medicine
World Extreme Medicine, formerly Expedition and Wilderness Medicine, is the world’s leading provider of expedition, wilderness and remote medicine training courses for medical professionals as well as an International Diploma in Expedition Medicine and a gold-standard MSc programme in Extreme Medicine.
WEM was born out of expeditions over 25 years ago, and whilst we have changed and grown, we continue to lead the way in outstanding and inspirational expedition medicine training. Alongside exciting training, we also offer extensive consultancy and medical support for projects across the globe. If you have a project you’d like help with please get in touch HERE.
Some interesting facts about World Extreme Medicine…
- A bright idea by ATD expedition medics around campfire in the Namib Desert led to the first ever Expedition and Wilderness Medicine course for medical professionals in 1998 which became publicly accessible in 2002.
- WEM Extreme Medicine courses & conferences work with over 200 world-leading experts each year.
- 2016 saw WEM planning & supporting the #PeoplesConvoy to Syria to rebuild a paediatric hospital in the Aleppo Province
- The upcoming AmazonPrime EcoChallange series, presented by #BearGrylls, is backup up by a team of over 20 WEM Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and Paramedics.
- In 2015, in partnership with the University of Exeter WEM established the first ever modular MSc in Extreme Medicine.
- The annual WEM Conference is now the largest global gathering of #MaverickMedics
WEM – ‘The Movie’!