“Taking Medical Students to Extremes”
Expedition & Wilderness Medicine are proud to announce a new programme to offer university medical students the opportunity to learn more about and be part of the UK Expedition & Wilderness Medicine Courses that are run three times a year.
For each course, we will invite one medical student to ‘intern’ with us as a member of the faculty. As an intern for the course they will:
- attend one UK course as a faculty-assistant
- have the opportunity to attend all the lecture talks
- if not assisting faculty in a practical session, be able to observe other practical sessions
- be part of the faculty team in the final Search & Rescue exercise
- meet the lecturers and faculty behind the scenes and be one of the team
The opportunity for this fantastic experience will initially be run for the 3 courses below:
- Expedition & Wilderness Medicine, Keswick, Cumbria (12 September 2011 to 15 September 2011)
- Expedition & Wilderness Medicine, Keswick, Cumbria (05 March 2012 to 08 March 2012)
- Expedition & Wilderness Medicine, National Mountain Centre, Plas y Brenin, Wales (21 May 2012 to 24 May 2012)
How to enter for this internship:
- Write 250 words describing what makes you want to be an extreme medicine doctor? This may include the fields: expedition & wilderness, pre-hospital, and disaster and relief.
- Submit one expedition related photograph to support your 250 words
- Tip: Stand out!
- Email your entries to Dr Nick Knight at [email protected]
- Entries to Nick must be sent as a Microsoft Word document attachment and include
Name, Age, University, Year of Study, Email contact, Telephone contact
- Be sure to state which of the three UK courses you are applying for
The winner must:
- Become a member on the Expedition & Wilderness Medicine website (launches in October 2011) and join the Facebook Expedition & Wilderness Medicine Page
- Be available for the full 4 days of the course
- Cover travel and accommodation in the faculty youth hostel
- Write a 750 word blog with a picture for the Expedition & Wilderness Medicine website describing their experiences on the course, what they learned and how this will help them in their future medical career
- Attempt to submit a small feedback article to a journal or magazine of their choosing (this could be an adaptation of the blog entry for example) e.g. Student BMJ.
- Entries for the September course 2011 competition closes on Thursday 1st September 2011
(Winner announced on Facebook, EWM website and by email on Monday 5th September 2011)
- Entries for the March course 2012 competition closes on Monday January 2nd 2012
(Winner announced on Facebook, EWM website and by email on Monday 9th January 2012
- Entries for the May course 2012 competition closes on Monday March 5th 2012
(Winner announced on Facebook, EWM website and by email on Monday March 12th 2012)
We look forward to welcoming you!
Mark Hannaford and the Expedition & Wilderness Medicine Team