The International World Extreme Medicine Conference and EXPO 2012 is calling for abstracts from university wilderness medical societies (or equivalent) or university medical students with any interest in extreme medicine.
The abstract should be no longer than 350 words long and outline a real or fictional medical emergency in a remote or pre-hospital environment. These may want to include:
- Event description
- Immediate diagnosis and management
- Casualty evacuation
- Follow-up management
- Key issues or complications
Some scenarios to get you thinking!
- Heat stroke in desert
- Compound lower limb fracture in the jungle
- RTA en route to mountain range
- Decompression illness following a dive
- Suspected high altitude pulmonary oedema
- Snake bite in desert or jungle
- Humanitarian health issues
Submission and Results:
To submit your entry for the “Taking Medicine to The Extremes” Poster Presentation please email Dr Nick Knight at: [email protected] with the following:
- Abstract title
- 350 word (max) abstract (in Microsoft Word, Font size 11, Arial, Justified)
- Your name and/or Wilderness Medical Society (if a group effort)
- University currently studying at
- Contact email
- Contact telephone
Deadline for submission is Friday January 6th 2012
From the entries, Expedition & Wilderness Medicine will select the top 10-15 and invite these to present their posters at the World Extreme Medicine Conference and EXPO 2012 at 1 Wimpole Street home of the Royal Society of Medicine. Presentation will be in the Events Dining Room.
An award will be given to the best poster presentation as voted by one of the guest speakers – and will look great on your CV!
I look forward to receiving your submissions.
Dr Nick Knight
Expedition & Wilderness Medicine