Join World Extreme Medicine for an unforgettable 6-day Desert Medicine course in the stunning Sharqiya Sands, Oman; where you’ll focus on learning the medical and survival skills required to lead and provide medical cover on desert expeditions. If you’re keen to take your medical skills into an extreme environment such as the desert, this course is for you!
Using the recently opened Outward Bound Oman Desert Centre as your base, the WEM faculty team led by Sean Hudson MBE, who brings an incredible wealth of exploration knowledge and working in desert environments to the course, and was awarded an MBE for services to ‘Providing Medical Aid and Education’, will take you on a two-part expedition through the Sharqiya Sands. It’s here you’ll learn to work with the environment, overcome the obstacles of the desert and increase your knowledge and skill set regarding Desert Medicine.
This specialised course is open to all health professionals and is ideal for potential and existing expedition medics looking to take their medical skills into the extreme. This amazing gathering will allow you to learn from the best, plus you will have the opportunity to network and meet like-minded people from around the world.
5 excellent reasons to attend the Desert Medicine Course:
- Expert team – our expert Desert Medicine team led by Sean Hudson, MBE will be drawing from their own personal extensive experience across the world’s deserts and sharing their knowledge and skills, giving you a comprehensive understanding of how to lead and provide medical cover on desert expeditions.
- Hands on experience – throughout your week with us you’ll learn clinical skills and field proven techniques that will ensure you leave the course feeling confident in your ability to lead and keep your expedition team healthy in a desert environment.
- Earn CPD credits and further your career – enhance your knowledge and increase your skill set to ensure you are in the best position possible to further your medical career and become a more effective and highly valued practitioner. For those attending and completing the course, accreditation will be offered (we estimate 30 hours of CPD) through the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- Desert Medicine topics explained – during the course you’ll explore many topics including standard operating procedures for a desert environment, pre-expedition planning, basic navigation and communication in the desert, burn management, heat-related illness and hydration, how to manage snake, scorpion and spider envenomation’s and managing fractures and dislocations in the wilderness.
- Unique desert location – offering exceptional wilderness conditions of the like you’ll not witness anywhere else in the world; with towering sand dunes reaching 100m in places, spectacular mountains that reach up to 10,000 feet into the sky and a desert that extends over an area of up to 10,000 square kilometres.
Our Desert Medicine course also comes highly recommended from past course attendees:
“I took the course in 2017. It was an excellent adventure and a real learning lesson. The Oman sites were beautiful, and everyone was professional. I have been to a few events like this, but you can tell the staff and guides were also having a great time. A blend of wilderness medicine, along with the much needed “this is what really works, I know I tried it” knowledge. I would recommend to anyone wanting to explore and learn outside the box.”
Jeremy, 2017 Desert Medicine course attendee
Join us in January 2020 and experience our Desert Medicine course for yourself. Be part of something amazing and take your extreme medicine career to the next level.
Book your place today!
Other blogs that may be of interest, include:
Why Shariqiya Sands provides the perfect desert classroom
Desert Medicine: kick start your career as an extreme medic
Meet the team behind our Desert Medicine course