Immerse yourself in an Arctic wilderness with seven days to master the medical and expedition skills needed to thrive in the coldest, most remote corners of the earth.
The World Extreme Medicine action-packed polar medicine course has recently been relocated to the Arctic Circle and revamped to include more time deep in the wilderness under true arctic winter conditions.
You’ll find yourself in the company of polar guides and expert medics with extensive cold environment experience and all set to learn from the best in the business.
The course aims to enable attendees to:
- Increase their knowledge about polar medicine and learn the essentials of polar travel, survival and cold weather medicine while immersed in a polar environment
- Acquire and develop specific survival skills applicable to polar medicine
- Develop leadership and decision making skills required when working in resource-limited environments
- Enhance knowledge and skills relating to understanding, diagnosing and treating cold weather and altitude illnesses and injuries when presented
- Understand and develop the non-technical skills required for polar medicine and expeditions in general, such as leadership and decision making skills, teamwork and being able to work together in an under-resourced austere environment
What will l learn on the polar medicine course?
Through hands-on workshops and scenarios, this highly practical course is supported by a comprehensive curriculum of cold weather and altitude medicine, taught through lectures and fully immersive workshops. You’ll cover a range of topics, such as avalanche awareness, basic navigation, primary survival in the wilderness, pre-expedition planning as well as shelter construction and cold water immersion and hypothermia, all preparing you for work, expeditions and micro-adventures in polar and high-altitude environments.
Who would benefit from attending this course?
Expedition medicine offers an exciting combination of medical practice and the outdoors, so any health professional who is involved in medicine in the outdoors and is interested or considering accompanying a cold weather expedition would benefit the most. If you are willing to think and work outside the box this is a great course for you.
With the role of an expedition medic requiring many skills, our polar medicine course offers the perfect opportunity to learn new skills and enhance your basic expedition knowledge as well as focus on key cold weather and high-altitude survival skills in the extreme.
Mark Hannaford, Managing Director & Founder of World Extreme Medicine , said: “This course gives attendees the opportunity to challenge themselves in a real-life extreme environment, a polar setting is dramatically different from anywhere else on earth.
Our expert team will be combining lectures, workshops and discussions with lots of hands-on experience to give course participants vital insight into the preparation required for an expedition as well as the ability to cope under pressure and perform to the best of their ability in an austere and resource-limited environment.
From this course, they can go anywhere. They could provide medical support for scientists working in Antarctica, become a medic on a polar expedition or with more training go on to work in other exciting areas and austere environments.”
Where else in the world could you receive such hands-on experience, be part of a unique learning experience and have an adventure of a lifetime?
To find out more and to experience our Polar Medicine course for yourself, please click here.