In a unique collaboration with Florida International University and Aquarius Reef Base, we have developed THE ultimate Dive Medicine course for you. As well as focusing on dive medicine and hyperbaric emergencies, you will be learning from one of the world’s most experienced Dive Medical Teams and have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of NASA astronauts and stay overnight in the world’s only permanent underwater science habitat Aquarius Reef Base; the place where NASA astronauts through the NASA NEEMO space analogue programme train for missions onboard the International Space Station.
Using the Aquarius Reef Base, an underwater world located off the Florida Keys in the Carpenter Basin on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, the incredible WEM faculty team will introduce you to the exciting world of dive, undersea and hyperbaric medicine. It’s here you’ll learn to work with the environment, overcome the obstacles of the water, increase your knowledge and skillset and experience a once in a lifetime opportunity of being able to train like a NASA aquanaut.
Throughout your time on the course, the educational methodology will include fascinating lectures and training from dive medicine experts at Aquarius Reef Base (ARB), NASA NEEMO and the Department of Defense, who bring with them an incredible wealth of dive and medical knowledge. You’ll listen to and discuss real-life case presentations, have printed support materials to enhance your learning, plus the opportunity to enjoy practical ‘hands-on’ exercises out in the field.
As with all the World Extreme Medicine courses, we’ll provide a practical training course that endeavours to make those attending more comfortable using the medical skills they already have in an austere environment.
Our Dive Medicine course enables attendees to:
- Be better equipped and confident in recognising and providing the right assessment and treatment when in an undersea environment.
- Acquire and develop dive medicine skills to ensure you have the necessary working knowledge to evaluate and manage diving medicine injuries in an operational environment.
- Enhance knowledge and skills relating to understanding, diagnosing and treating illnesses in an underwater environment such as decompression illness, inert gas narcosis, oxygen toxicity and high-pressure nervous syndrome, acute dysbaric disorders, plus understanding the thermal considerations of diving.
- Understand and develop new dive techniques such as saturation and hard hat diving to further enhance your skillset.
What will I learn on a WEM Dive Medicine Course?
The Dive Medicine course trains physicians and healthcare professionals to recognise, evaluate and treat diving medical and hyperbaric emergencies in one of the world’s most unique locations – Aquarius Reef Base. In addition to lectures on the physiology and medicine of diving, you’ll receive highly practical experience operating and working hyperbaric recompression chambers, and the use of commercial and military diving equipment, which will include an introduction to scientific, hard hat and saturation diving.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will have a working knowledge to evaluate and manage diving medicine injuries in an operational environment. Plus, all course attendees will receive a Diver Medic Technician qualification issued by the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology.
Who should attend this course?
This course is ideal for medics (Physician, Doctor, Nurse* or Paramedic*) wishing to pursue a career in Hyperbaric Medicine, who currently work or would like to work as a Dive Expedition Medic and who are working on remote or recreating on remote dive sites. This dive medicine course offers a unique learning opportunity, whether you are looking for a one-off experience or need to learn new skills for your job.
* 3 years post-national registration
If you need any further guidance, here are 4 excellent reasons to attend our Dive Course:
- Expert team – our team are one of the world’s most experienced Dive Medical Team with a huge pedigree in the field. They will be drawing on their own extensive and personal experience, sharing their extreme knowledge and skills and giving you a comprehensive understanding of evaluating and managing diving medicine injuries.
- Once in a lifetime opportunity – when else are you able to dive and stay overnight on the world’s only underwater habitat – Aquarius Reef Base. So unique, fewer people have stayed here than have summited Everest!
- Hands-on experience – enjoy practical ‘hands-on’ experience working hyperbaric recompression chambers, and the use of commercial and military diving equipment to include an introduction to scientific, hard hat and saturation diving.
- Further your career – enhance your knowledge and increase your skillset to ensure you are in the best position possible to further your medical career and become a more effective and highly valued practitioner. For those attending and completing the course, accreditation will be offered (we estimate 40 hours of CPD) through the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. After successful completion of the course exam, participants will be awarded the Diver Medic Technician qualification issued by the National Board of Diving & Hyperbaric Medical Technology.
WEM Founder, Mark Hannaford says:
“There is nothing quite so surreal as living and breathing on the bottom of the ocean and staying in the Aquarius Habitat ranks as one of life’s most amazing experiences. This has to be the most extraordinary of WEM’s already exceptional courses with world-class dive medicine teaching delivered by some of the worlds most experienced experts, using a mix of emergency decompression chambers combined with living on the ocean floor! Also, you end the week with the title ‘Honorary Aquanaut’, which is a pretty standout achievement!”
Our Dive Medicine Course comes highly recommended from past course attendees:
Dr Shawna Pandya, Dive Medicine – Aug 2019
Find out more about our Dive Medicine courses and take your medical career to the next level – book your place today!