Graduate Certificate in Extreme Medicine
Build a comprehensive Extreme Medicine skill set for the world’s most challenging—and rewarding—environments. Northeastern University’s Graduate Certificate in Extreme Medicine provides exciting courses that develop skills in crisis resource management, human factors in severe environments, the efficiency of highly skilled teams, and theory and ethics of care in humanitarian crises.
Designed for an array of healthcare professionals interested in the diverse field of extreme medicine. You’ll gain the humanitarian and experiential expertise to provide care in a variety of severe environments.
Through this program, you’ll be taken to new levels of your profession with a focus on human factors, crisis resource management, and high-performing teams. Whether you want to work on Mt. Everest or as a humanitarian provider in Haiti, you’ll have the knowledge and experience to provide the best possible care.
This online course offers flexibility and can be completed over a period of 8-12 months, depending on whether you are studying part-time or full-time. You can also choose from five practical courses, which include Cold Weather and Expedition Medicine, Wilderness and Expedition Medicine, Tactical Operations, Humanitarian and Disaster, and Human Factors.
Gain the knowledge and experience to provide compassionate and ethical medical care, even in the most severe environments.
Open to all medical professionals including:
- Medics, Paramedics and Nurses
- Medical Scientists
- Allied Healthcare workers
- Military Medics
With this graduate certificate, you’ll be able to:
- Identify and apply the components of the disaster cycle, including planning, mitigation, response, and recovery.
- Develop and apply methods for identifying and managing human factors in extreme medical settings.
- Develop and apply skills in crisis resource management, leadership of highly efficient teams, and methods for assessment and quality improvement.
- Develop and apply the tenets of bioethics in disaster and humanitarian response settings.
- Identify and apply the critical factors for successful team integration in disaster and humanitarian response settings.
- Develop and apply methods for managing acute and chronic medical issues in humanitarian response.
- Identify the guidelines and principles of the international standards for humanitarian response as outlined by the United Nations and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
A variety of industries, from the government to the media, have a growing need for professionals with expertise in extreme medicine.
The demand for qualified professionals in this field is substantial as many healthcare professionals engage with nongovernmental volunteer agencies that provide humanitarian care.
Take the first step on a postgraduate experience which could transform your future.